Born in a small Wisconsin blue-collar town, Mike Starling ditched the assembly line for a long, sometimes circuitous career working with words, music, photography and video.
He earned his journalism stripes over a 20+year career working for newspapers, magazines, radio and TV. His original music is heard on numerous recordings and soundtracks, and his photo art has been featured in books and in exhibits around the Midwest.
Among his other interesting career moves, he has edited a beer magazine, played bass in a reggae band and sold potato chips door-to-door.
RECENT MUSIC/ART PROJECTS
- Sons of Distortion 15th Anniversary Video (2017, songwriter, vocals, guitar, art direction)
- Brett Huus, The Many Disguises of Zero (2014, co-producer, bass guitar)
- The Spirals, Orange (2014, bass guitar, videography)
- Umberto Vata (2012, guitar and organ on the song OSIS.HoyGuru)
- Bean Hoy: Get Lost: The Studio J Sessions (2008, producer, songwriter, vocals, guitar, photography)
- Momentary Peyote (2008, producer, bass, guitar, percussion)
- The Spirals, Taxes Are Tyranny (2007, producer, photography)
- Ragani, Ancient Spirit (2006, choir member)
- Katrinaville (2005, song written for David Spielman's Katrinaville Chronicles book release)
- The Sons of Distortion (2002, songwriter, vocals, guitar)
SELECT SONGWRITING CREDITS
- Shifting Focus, La Crosse Public Library (2016)
- Streets (solo exhibit), Ginger Milwaukee (2011)
- Coalition of Photographic Arts 3rd Annual Juried Show, Walker's Point Fine Arts Center (2009-10)
- Blue & White (solo exhibit), Mercy Hill Gallery (2008)
- Coalition of Photographic Arts member shows, P.H. Dye Building (2008-09)
- Milwaukee Artist Resource Network Group Portrait Show, Reuss Federal Plaza (2008)
- City Visions (solo exhibit), Harry Schwartz Cafe Gallery (2008)
Recordings with no links are out of print or no longer available via digital outlets. Photo of Starling on assignment in Ireland by Jeff Winke. Indigo Highway photo and The City at Night film, including words, music, still photography and moving pictures ©Mike Starling. Music published by Bean Hoy Music (BMI). Fits Right In music and lyrics by Jim Peterson and Mike Starling. Video by Ashley Worden. Music recorded, mixed and mastered at Actual Sound Studio by Michael von Muchow. Mike Starling-vocals, guitar; Casey Virock-guitar, backing vocals; Michael von Muchow-bass, guitar, backing vocals; Kevin Skrenes-drums, backing vocals. Go Beater Car Go music and lyrics by Mike Starling and published by Bean Hoy Music (BMI). Sound recording and video ©Bella Brutto. All rights reserved.